Toxic Foods That Are Harmful to Your Pet

Before you begin spicing up Spot’s dinner, it’s very important to realize that some foods humans eat should never be fed to your dog. These are foods that are not recommended for your dog! This information is based on dog health data published primarily by ASPCA. The information is generally standardized but may vary based on source.


Dog drinking alcoholAlcohol-(Also known as ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol or drinking alcohol) Even ingesting a small amount of a product containing alcohol may cause significant intoxication. In severe cases, coma, seizures, and death may occur.


Apple seeds

Apple Seeds

apricot pitsApricot Pits

AvocadoAvocados-The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark. Contain persin, an oil soluble toxin, which typically only causes diarrhea and vomiting. In some animals, damage to heart muscle cells may occur, leading to heart failure.

Baby foodBaby Food-May contain onion powder, which may be toxic to dogs. if you feed baby food, check the label.

Cooked bonesBones (Cooked) -Fish, poultry, or other meat sources. Dog’s may choke or sustain a critical injury if bone splinters and becomes lodged in or punctures digestive tract.

Cherry PitsCherry Pits

Chocolate DogChocolate- Toxic compounds are caffeine and theobromine, which belong to a group of chemicals called methylxanthines. Darker chocolates are more dangerous, however all chocolate should be avoided.

Citrus oilCitrus Oil Extracts-Contains limonene and linalool which are metabolized in the liver and may result in liver damage or failure.

Dog drinking starbucksCoffee & other caffeinated drinks-In all forms, including coffee, tea, as well as grounds. Depending on the dose, may produce the same toxic and potentially fatal effects as chocolate.

Cooked fishCooked Fish– Salmon and other cooked fish. Because of small bones, steer clear of fresh cooked salmon and other fish. Canned boneless fish is safe.

Dog eating fatFat Trimmings-You have trimmed the fat because you have chose not to eat it for health reasons, so why feed it to your dog.

Dogs eating garlicGarlicOnions-You may feed garlic  but in moderation

Dog eating grapesGrapes and raisins-Because they are condensed, raisins are more dangerous than grapes, avoid cereals and cookies with raisins.

Drinking beerHops-Fresh or cooked-Cultivated hops used for brewing beer have been associated with potentially life threatening signs in dogs who have ingested them.

Dog eating nutsMacadamia Nuts



Dog eating peach pitsPeach Pits

PersimmonPersimmon Seeds

Dog eating plumsPlum Pits

Dog eating potatoPotato Peels-green parts and eyes only, the rest of the skin is okay. Discard any green or sprouted portions of the potato. This includes all types of potatoes.

Rhubarb leavesRhubarb Leaves-Contains soluble calcium oxalates, which may cause kidney failure, tremors and salivation in dogs.

SaltSalt, Baking Soda and Baking Powder-Large amounts of salt may produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning.

SweetsSugary Foods-May lead to obesity, dental problems and possibly diabetes mellitus.

TablescrapsTable Scraps-Are not nutritionally balanced


TobaccoTobacco-Nicotine found in cigarettes and tobacco products is highly toxic. Exposure to second hand smoke may result in harmful inflammatory changes in airways and lungs.

Yeast DoughYeast Dough-Made with live yeast can be very hazardous.

XylitolXylitol-A non caloric sweetener used in diet foods and sugar free gum can be highly toxic to some dogs. May lead to a rapid severe drop in blood sugar levels, disorientation and seizures. In large amounts, may cause liver failure, which may be fatal.

  • Too much protein in your dog’s diet can overwork their liver and kidney as they work to remove the excess protein the body cannot absorb. Too little protein can lead to growth problems for your puppy.
  • Too much fat in your dog’s diet can lead to excess poundage on your puppy. Too little fat, though, results in dull coat and flaky skin.
  • Too many vitamins can stress your dog’s organs and can even lead to bladder stones, while a lack of vitamins will make your dog weak and tired.
  • Fiber plays an important role in a balanced diet. Too much fiber leads to gas. Too little can cause loose stools

Chocolate poster

If your dog does ingest a toxin there are a couple of symptoms to be aware of. Usually within the first 12 hours, the dog may experience diarrhea, lethargy and vomiting. Once toxicosis sets in, the dog may experience a loss of appetite and increased urination.The dog will start to develop bad breath, mouth ulcers, a rise in blood pressure and eventually fall into a coma.  Death may occur due to kidney failure.

If you think your dog may have come in contact with a toxin, contact your veterinary office or emergency clinic immediately to avoid possible death.

Katie Newman